What is VGAP?
VGAP is the Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program. It is a recently-established grant program funded by the Commonwealth of Virginia and administered by Virginia public institutions under the guidance of the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia.
Students eligible for the grant have met the following requirements:
- Domiciled resident of Virginia as defined by section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia;
- Graduate of a high school in the Commonwealth with a cumulative secondary school grade point average of at least 2.5 on a scale of 4.0;
- Accepted for enrollment as a dependent student in any public institution of higher education in Virginia;
- Are not receiving state discretionary aid and
- Demonstrate financial need as defined by the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia
At Old Dominion University, students who submit their FAFSAs by February 15 (meeting the priority filing deadline) receive priority consideration for this grant.
The funding for the Guaranteed Assistance Program is determined annually by the State Council of Higher Education. Grants may be renewed annually for no more that three subsequent (consecutive) years of study if:
- the student maintains at least a 2.0 grade point average on a scale of 4.0;
- the student is not receiving state descretionary aid (Commonwealth Award);
- the student demonstrates continued financial need as a result of filing the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year and meeting the priority deadline (February 15) and is classified as a dependent student for financial aid purposes;
- makes satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, earning not less than the minimum number of hours of credit required for full-time standing in each academic period during enrollment at a public institution of higher education in Virginia (a minimum of 24 semester hours earned during the fall and spring terms of the academic year);
- and maintains continuous enrollment for at least two semesters in each successive academic year.
Once a student loses eligibility to participate in the VGAP program, regardless of the reason, s/he will not regain eligibility. Loss of eligibility to participate in the VGAP program does not necessarily imply loss of eligibility to participate in any of the other Virginia Student Financial Assistance Programs.