Responsibility for Tuition Debt
Students are responsible for debts resulting from registration for courses. Registrations will not be canceled for non-payment of tuition or non-attendance. Therefore, failure to pay for courses or attend courses will not release students from the responsibility for these charges. Students may contact Customer Relations (757-683-3030 or via e-mail at email@example.com). Distance Learning Students should contact their Site Staff or the Office of Distance Learning for assistance.
Cash payments must be made in person in the Cashiers' Office. Service hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. We encourage students not to bring large sums of cash onto the campus. Large payments of cash are not recommended. The University offers other convenient payment options.
Checks and Money Orders
Please make checks or money orders payable to "Old Dominion University" and include the student's identification number on the check. Students paying by check or money order are encouraged to pay by mail. Returned checks and charges are subject to a returned check fee. Please allow 7 business days for mail payments to be posted.
Please mail check or money order payments to the following address:
OFFICE OF FINANCE
OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY
Alfred B. Rollins, Jr. Hall
Norfolk VA 23529-0046
For out-of-country checks, please make checks payable in US dollars only.
Address changes should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.
Students can pay via WEB Check (from checking accounts only)
NOTE - When using the Web Check process, please ensure that you enter all checking account information accurately. If a bank cannot locate a specific account associated with a web check, a student might not be aware of the outstanding amount until contacted by a collection agency.
Students may not use Credit Card Convenience Checks or savings accounts to make payments via Old Dominion University's WEB Check payment process.Convenience checks and savings accounts are not recognized by automated banking systems. Since the bank cannot locate a specific account associated with a convenience check or a savings account, a student might not be aware of the outstanding amount until contacted by a collection agency.
Charge Card Payments
Old Dominion accepts VISA and MasterCard only. Unfortunately, refunds to credit cards cannot be made. Refunds are made by check only. Returned charges are subject to a return fee. Students may make charge card payments at the Cashiers' Office or via LEOOnline
University Payment Plan
The payment plan allows students to make four equal payments for term charges.
- Payment plans are available for fall and spring semester only.
- Payment plans are NOT available for Summer terms.
- Payment plans must be established each term by the tuition deadline.
- University payment plans are not available for past due balances.
- Payment plans will be established on the student's total current tuition,housing charges (if applicable), and meal plans (if applicable).
- Payment plan arrangements should not be made until registration activity is complete and must be made by the published due date or the date of registration if registration occurs after tuition deadline. No amendments to the plan will be accepted.
- A $40 non-refundable processing fee is required each term at the time of setup.
- Payment dates are January, February, March, and April for the Spring term and August, September, October, and November for the Fall term (please refer to your billing statement for the actual payment due date).
- Please refer to the Payment Plan form for more information.
For a Payment Plan Form, click here
Third Party Payments
The University accepts company checks or purchase orders as payment, or we can bill your employer for your total charges with the appropriate authorization. Unfortunately, we are unable to bill employers who reimburse employees based on the course outcome or the grade received.
For detailed employer or agency information, click here.
Tuition Assistance Authorizations for Navy and Marine Service Members
Per military policy, Social Security Numbers are not printed on Navy and Marine tuition assistance (TA) authorizations. There will be blanks for service members to supply either a SSN (Social Security Number) or Old Dominion University's UIN (University Identification Number). If a student fails to provide an identification number (SSN or UIN), on the tuition assistance form, Old Dominion University will be unable to process the tuition assistance document. This will cause students to receive billing notices and could result in late fees, holds on student accounts, and collection fees. It is imperative that students include an identification number on all tuition assistance documents.
The University is also able to accept direct wire payments (see notes below).
- Please send in U.S. Dollars (required)
- ODU will assess a fee for this service of $50.00 USD
- The inclusion of the student's name and ID number is essential for appropriate posting to the student account. ODU will not be liable for any penalties for wire payments received without appropriate identification. Please allow 7 to 10 business days for funds to be applied to the account.
- Contact Customer Service at 757-683-3030 (select option 1) for actual wiring instructions.
Using Financial Aid to Pay Your Account
The Office of Finance is the disbursing agent for financial aid funds. Financial aid funds are applied directly to student accounts when the funds are available. For credit balances due to the student, the funds will be returned to the student in the form of a check or e-Refund. Balance of aid checks are normally made payable to the student and mailed to the student's permanent address on file with the Registrar. Checks for balance of aid are released 5-7 business days after the credit balance is created. If the charges exceed the aid awarded, the student is held responsible for any remaining balance by the tuition deadline.
- In accordance with Title IV regulations, students will NOT be able to use financial aid for future semesters to cover prior semester debts in another aid year.
- If you owe for prior semester charges, you will have a financial hold on your account.
- Prior semester debts must be paid in full before the financial hold will be removed from the account. Students will not be allowed to add additional courses to meet requirements to have their aid disbursed if there is an outstanding past due balance.
- There may be a delay in processing financial aid refunds for students with outstanding prior semester balances (applies to those who receive a paper check and those who have signed up for e-Refunds).
Chapter 33 Benefits
Based on Veteran's Affairs (VA) requirements, recipients of Chapter 33 benefits will have their funds posted after the end of the 50% refund period.
Returned Checks and Charges
There is a $50 administrative charge for all checks and charges returned unpaid by the bank for any reason. If the check or charge is returned unpaid for any reason, the student will have seven (7) days to repay the check or charge amount and the $50 administrative fee. Failure to do so will result in a payment penalty and a financial hold on the account.
Each account will be allowed two returned checks, after which payment by check will not be accepted. This includes returned electronic payments.