These regulations apply to students who live in campus housing and desire to operate or park a vehicle on university property. Any vehicle parked on the university grounds must display a permit, regardless of who operates the vehicle. The purpose of these regulations is to reduce traffic congestion, facilitate orderly parking, and to provide revenue for maintaining and improving existing lots, and developing new facilities. It is necessary and desirable to make and enforce these regulations for the safety and welfare of students, faculty/staff members, and visitors of the university.
Students who live on campus are eligible to purchase a resident permit for areas associated with their dormitories. There are three types of residential permits: General Resident, University Village Apartments, and Quad Housing.
The campus housing is:
- Rogers Hall
- Rogers Hall Annex
- Nusbaum Apts. (A, B, C)
- Gresham Hall
- Gresham Hall Annex
- University Village Apts. I, II, & III (Restricted parking: see below)
- Monarch House
- Powhatan Apts. I & II
- Whitehurst Hall
- Quad Housing (Ireland, Virginia, Scotland, England, France, Dominion)
- Foundation House
- ODU Inn
- Parker House
All parking on campus is decal controlled; every vehicle must have a valid pass or decal displayed. Parking spaces are defined by three lines and/or curb stops; vehicles parked in other than a defined space will be issued a parking citation. Parking regulations are enforced every day and night except between 4 p.m. on Friday through midnight Sunday and on university holidays (spring and semester breaks are not considered as university holidays).
Student with On-Campus Housing
Parking & Transportation Services offers three residents' decals: the General Resident and the University Village Apartments.
- General Resident: available to students who reside in Rogers Hall & Annex, Nusbaum Apts. (A, B, C), Gresham Hall & Annex, Monarch House, Powhatan Apts. (I & II) and Whitehurst Hall.
- University Village Resident: available to students who reside in the University Village Apartments only.
- Quad Resident: available to students to reside in Ireland House, Virginia House, Scotland House, England House, France House and Dominion House.
Decals are due the first day of each semester.
General Resident Decal
This decal is valid only in lots marked Resident and Overflow (please see map for lot locations) at any time. Decals may be purchased at the Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) office, adjacent to the parking garage at 43rd Street and Elkhorn Avenue.
The General Resident decal is never valid in University Village Apartments lots.
General Residential Parking Lots
Parking areas are adjacent to the residence halls, Monarch House and Powhatan Apartments. These are residential lots at all times and a residential parking permit is required. These lots are #11 and #33 at Rogers Main, #28 and #16 at Gresham Hall, #32 behind Powhatan Apartments, #42 at Whitehurst Hall, and #50 at the Monarch House. The University Village Apartments decal is never valid in these lots.
Residential permits are not valid in any Commuter or Faculty-Staff/Evening Program lots before 3:45 pm. Residential permits are never valid in lots marked Faculty/Staff only.
University Village (UV) Decal
You must have a valid University Village decal to park in the University Village Apartments parking lots. The University Village decal is never valid in General Resident or Quad lots. Please see special rules below to assist you in purchasing and using your University Village Apartments parking decal.
- To purchase a University Village parking decal, you must provide a valid University Village Apartments vehicle registration form. Decals may be purchased at Parking & Transportation Services.
- Decal is available only to students who reside in University Village Apartments.
- Purchasing a decal may be done by semester or annually.
- Decal is valid in University Village Apartments and Overflow parking lots at any time.
- Decal is valid in Commuter & Evening parking lots after 3:45 p.m. only.
- Decal is never valid in other Resident or Faculty/Staff parking lots.
- Decal will not activate gates into apartment parking lots. Please see University Village Apartments office staff for your gate access.
- Decal is valid in the Convocation Center South "C" parking garage. This garage is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Special events may limit parking availability. Please see Special Events Parking below for special garage closings.
- A City of Norfolk Residential Parking Permit (RPP) will be issued with each Spring Semester University Village Apartments parking decal. Vehicles that display the Rpp and a valid University Village Apartment decal may park within the Residential Parking District without regard for the two-hour limit. The Residential Parking District includes 41st Street, 43rd Street and 45th Street between Monarch Way and Killam Avenue. There is a $20.00 replacement charge if your RPP is lost or stolen. The RPP can only be replaced once. Place the RPP on the rear driver's side bumper. If RPP is placed in any other location, it may result in a City of Norfolk citation.
- The Parking & Transportation Services Motor Vehicle & Parking Regulations brochure identifies additional parking information for the campus.
University Village Parking Lots
Parking areas will be gated. You must have a valid University Village decal to park in University Village parking lots. For the first two weeks after move-in in August, all Village residents will be allowed to access the parking lots through the parking gates. No visitor parking is allowed in the University Village parking lots. There will be 24-hour enforcement, 7 days a week in the University Village lots. After two weeks, those who do not have parking permits will have their parking gate access turned off by University Village.
Students living in the Virginia House, Ireland House, Scotland House, England House, France House, and Dominion House may purchase a Quad parking decal. The decal is valid only in parking lots 11, 16, 32, 33, 42, Parking Garage "E" (thrid floor to top), and lots designated perimeter. Quad Parking decals are valid in Commuter lots after 3:45 pm and in Faculty/Staff Evening Program lots after 3:45 pm. The Quad Parking decal is never valid in the Village Apartment parking areas and Faculty/Staff only lots.
Special Parking Rule for Quad Residents
Students living in the University Quad housing will not be able to park in Garage "A" during Saturday home football games.
Students will need to have their cars relocated by 6:00pm the Friday before the game. Vehicles may be moved as early as the Thursday before the game to any of the approved lots.
List of approved lots for Quad relocation on football Saturdays:
- Lots 11, 16, 33 (Near Rogers/Gresham)
- Lots 48 and 52 (Along 43rd St)
- Lots 32 and 42 (Near Whitehurst/Powhatan)
- Garages C and D (Next to the Ted Constant Convocation Center)
Quad Students must return their cars to their normal approved lots by Monday 7:00am. Vehicles that remain in the garage after 6:00pm Fridays are subject to being ticketed and towed.
Parking Services part in the football parking and traffic plan is to ensure the staff at the Ted has adequate parking for the game. To do this, parking will turn over control of entire lots/garages to the Ted, including reserved parking spaces on game days.