In conjunction with Old Dominion University (ODU), Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) offers free local transportation to ODU students, faculty and staff on all HRT routes. These services include The Tide (light rail), HRT/Max buses, and the Elizabeth River Ferry.
Beginning the first academic day after Spring Break (March 12th, 2012) you must have both an ODU issued ID card and a "Go-Pass 365" in order to utilize HRT services for free.
Your HRT Go-Pass 365 is available now for pickup at The Office of Parking and Transportation Services in the Elkhorn Ave Garage.
In order to pick up your Go-Pass 365, you will need to present your valid ODU ID card to the customer service representative. Go-Pass 365 cards will be valid until June 30th, 2013. If you lose or misplace your Go-Pass 365 card, you will have to go to The Office of Parking and Transportation Services for a replacement (fees may apply).
If you are denied service, please provide the bus number and time to The Office of Parking and Transportation Services.
Again, please note that only those with valid ODU ID's will be able to pick up a Go-Pass 365.
Getting to ODU from the Tide (Light Rail)
The closest Tide station to ODU is the EVMS/Fort Norfolk station. There are two buses that leave from this station and head to ODU, Route 16 and Route 2.
- Route 16 (via Colley Ave): This service leaves every 30 minutes during peak times from the EVMS/Fort Norfolk Station and takes approximately 15 minutes to reach ODU. This bus drops off and picks up on west side of Elkhorn Ave.
Route 2 (via Hampton Blvd):
This service leaves every 30 minutes during peak times from the EVMS/Fort Norfolk Station and takes approximately 15 minutes to reach ODU. The bus drops off on the east side of Hampton Blvd and picks up on the west side of Hampton Blvd.
Getting to and from Downtown Norfolk/MacArthur Mall
The easiest and quickest route to downtown Norfolk and MacArthur Mall is catch either Route 16 or Route 2 and transfer to the Tide at the EVMS/Fort Norfolk station.
Be sure to plan your return trip ahead of time as the last buses to ODU from EVMS/Fort Norfolk station leave at 10:20pm Monday - Thursday, 12:20am Friday - Sunday.
Planning Your Trip
The easiest way to plan your trip on HRT is to visit www.gohrt.com or www.maps.google.com.
- Put in your starting address
- Put in your desired destination
- Click "Get Directions"
Route Maps and Times
Click here for Route 16 map and schedule
Click here for Route 2 map and schdedule
All other route maps that include stop locations and time points can be found on here.
- Handi-Ride Information: Students, faculty, and staff assigned to the Norfolk campus can use the Handi-Ride free of charge with a Handi-Ride pass booklet. To receive a booklet:
- Come to the Parking and Transportation Services office with a valid University identification card.
- Proof of certification through the HRT Disabilities Program.
- Disabled customers will be issued Handi-Ride booklets based on their class or work schedule.
- There are ten passes per booklet. Booklet will not be replaced if lost or stolen.
HRT Bus Schedule: Please call 222-6100 for HRT bus schedules and routes. For University program information please call 683-4004