Old Dominion University
A to Z Index  |  Directories

Old Dominion University Police Department



Crime Beat Update

Outside Links

Frequently Asked Questions

Contacting ODU Police

Parking and Traffic

Police Services


Complaint Form


Police Services

I have locked myself out of my car. Can someone assist me?

Due to the increasing sophistication of vehicle locking mechanisms, and the increased possibility of damage to your vehicle, the Police Department is not able to assist with lockouts. We will be happy to call someone for you and suggest that if you have a motor club membership they be called to come assist you.

My car battery is dead. Can I get a jump start?

Departmental policy prohibits the use of University Police vehicles to jump start other vehicles; however, the department has available two sets of jumper cables which are loaned on a first come, first served basis. To borrow a set of jumper cables, come by the Police Department at 4516 Monarch Way Norfolk, VA 23508. You must present a VALID driver's license, which will be returned to you when the cables are brought back. (Note: A student ID is not acceptable for checking out jumper cables). For more information, call 683-4000.

How can I obtain information on campus crime statistics and crime prevention information?

The ODU Police Department publishes a compilation of campus crime statistics each year. This information is available in print at various locations around the campus or online by visiting our Crime Statistics page.

What should I do if my University ID Card is lost or stolen?

During business hours, report the loss immediately to the University Card Center located in Room 1110 of Webb Center, 683-3508. If your card is stolen, or the University Card Center is closed, notify the University Police Department at 683-4000. We will deactivate your ID Card to protect your account. If you find your card, you will have to contact the University Card Center to have your account reactivated.

What is the procedure for obtaining access to a building after hours or on weekends or holidays?

Persons requiring access to campus buildings after hours are required to be on an access list issued by a Department Head, Instructor, or their designee. These lists are kept on file at the Police Department.

To gain access to a building after hours, come to the Police Department at 4516 Monarch Way and present a valid University ID Card to the dispatcher on duty. Once verification of access has been determined, an officer will be dispatched to assist you. Have your ID ready to show to the officer when you arrive at the building. Please note: If officers are involved with high priority calls, there may be a delay in responding to a request for opening, but someone will be dispatched as soon as possible. Telephoned requests to gain access to a building are NOT accommodated.

I locked myself out of my residence hall room. Can someone assist me?

University police officers do not carry keys which will open residence hall or apartment complex rooms. If you have locked yourself out or lost your key, please contact your front desk. The phone numbers and hours of operation are as follows:

The following desks are open from 8:00 AM. through 12:00 AM (midnight) 7 days a week:

  • Whitehurst Hall: 683-4403
  • Gresham Complex: 683-4289
  • Rogers Complex: 683-4283
  • Scotland House: 683-0252
  • Virginia House: 683-1810
  • Ireland House: 683-1750
  • Monarch Inn: 451-3051
  • Powhatan Village: 683-4748

The following desk is open from 9:00 AM. through 10:00 PM, Monday through Friday, and from 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM on Saturday and Sunday:

  • University Village: 889-1845

When the desk is closed, please contact the staff member on duty for assistance. During semester break periods, residence halls are closed (with the exception of Whitehurst, Powhatan, the University Village, and Nusbaum Apartments) and access is granted only in emergency situations. For the halls that remain open during breaks, the desks are open for limited hours each day. Please visit your front desk to find out the limited hours during those times and to get the contact information for the staff member on duty. As always, you can contact the Police Department at 683-4000 and the dispatcher on duty can contact the Residence Hall Director or Graduate Assistant on duty for you. When you call, be sure to advise the dispatcher of the number where you can be reached.

Does the Old Dominion University Police Department offer fingerprinting services?

Yes. The Detective Division offers fingerprinting services by appointment only. There is no charge for this service to students, faculty or staff members. For more details, call the Detective Division at 683-3492.