ACTIVITIES OF CDC
The Old Dominion University will seek to revitalize and rebuild the economic and social capacity of communities by simultaneously and aggressively acting on five strategic interrelated fronts: creating clean and safe streets, increasing housing and home ownership, fortifying public education, fostering economic opportunity and promoting commercial development.
Specifically, the CDC will undertake a wide range of activities including:
- Initiation and review of neighborhood planning
- Rehabilitation and construction of affordable housing
- Renovation and development of commercial and industrial properties
- Assistance to small businesses and local entrepreneurs
- Creation and retention of jobs
- Job training and job referrals for area residents.
- Neighborhood beautification and enhancement of amenities
- Educational and recreational programs for youth
- Community arts and cultural events
- Advocacy for improved services and public and private investment
- Leadership development