Old Dominion University
A to Z Index  |  Directories

Office of Academic Affairs

Faculty Handbook

 Search Handbook       

Grades and Grade Sheets

The university believes that regular assessment of students and feedback to them is essential to effective teaching and learning. Therefore, faculty members will provide all students with evaluation of their progress in a course prior to mid-semester. Faculty teaching 100- and 200-level undergraduate courses will provide specific feedback regarding progress in the course by posting an interim grade via Leo Online by the beginning of the fifth week of classes in the fall and spring semesters.

           All faculty must report grades for fall, spring and summer terms through the secure website by logging in to www.leoonline.odu.edu within 48 hours after the final examination has been given. Official grades are maintained in the Office of the University Registrar.

           An online process for grade changes is available to faculty if the grade to be changed is not older than two semesters. In these cases, the instructor of record makes the change online. The chair is notified by email of the change and may at that time deny the change of grade. If the grade to be changed is older than two semesters, the instructor submits an Academic Record Change Form (H-1002) to the chair, who forwards it to the university registrar if it is approved and notifies the instructor of reasons for denial if it is not approved.

           Faculty may choose to make grades available to students, but should not post class rosters outside offices, classrooms or other public areas. Students should be encouraged to view their posted grades through the secure website (www.leoonline.odu.edu). Student records are guaranteed confidentiality by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment). In no case should the student's name, social security number or any other personally identifiable information be posted or released verbally or in written format to anyone other than the student. Students should be referred to the Office of the University Registrar for official release of information.

 - Approved by the provost and vice president for academic affairs
September 5, 2003
Revised July 16, 2008


   Compare with: