14. Written Communication within the Major (3 hours)
The writing intensive course (W) within the major will continue to be a key component of Upper Division General Education. It may be fulfilled within the major with a single 3-credit course in which writing comprises at least 51% of the grade. In disciplines such as the sciences this requirement may be met with a combination of courses that meet the prescribed outcomes.
Upon completing the upper division writing intensive course(W) in the major, the student will be able to:
- differentiate among data sources those that are pertinent and legitimate to the scholarship of the discipline
- produce discipline-specific written communication reflecting scrutiny in content and free from mechanical errors
- execute the discourse conventions most commonly used in the student's major discipline(s)
- creatively adapt their writing process to the kinds of knowledge and the purposes most fundamental to their major disciplines.