7. Human Creativity (Way of Knowing) (3 hours)
The justification for Ways of Knowing is the need for our students to become more broadly educated because our students will enter a world in which they will hold several different jobs, and perhaps even embark on a succession of careers during their lives. Equally important is the consideration that this education will make their lives richer and their outlook broader even in the unlikely event that demands on their expertise do not change. All of the Ways of Knowing are required to consider the ways in which gender, age, poverty, ethnicity and globalization fashion and influence our lives.
This requirement will be satisfied with a course from the following areas: art, creative writing, dance, film, music or theater.
- Students will demonstrate an appreciation of aesthetic experiences in the chosen discipline.
- Students write and discuss these experiences with greater understanding, which necessitates critical analysis according to the norms of the discipline.
- Students will critically asses the merits of their work and the work of others.
- Students will critically assess the intellectual traditions reflected in a particular work.
- Students will come to understand the value of common human needs and desires expressed through creative expression.