|Thursday, March 3, 2011|
Supervisor Essentials Training Series Begins March 8
If you are a new (fewer than two years) or even a seasoned university supervisor of classified employees, then the Supervisor Essentials training series is for you. The spring series starts Tuesday, March 8. Classes fill up fast, so please complete the online registration as soon as possible.
This program is for supervisors who have the responsibility of hiring, evaluating, coaching and terminating classified employees.
There are many state and university policies and procedures associated with supervising classified employees. This series focuses on a myriad of topics deemed essential for supervisors to be successful. Some of the courses in the series are: Understanding Your Responsibilities as a University Supervisor, Leave Management, Progressive Discipline, Understanding the Grievance Process, Classification and Compensation, Recruitment Selection and Hiring, and Writing the Position Description.
The schedule for the upcoming 11-week Supervisor Essentials series is available at the ODU Knowledge Center.
If you have any questions regarding this program, contact Cheryl Foreman at 3-4316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in attending, follow the instructions below:
• Log in to the ODU Knowledge Center at https://covkc.virginia.gov/odu
• Select the Learning Center > Curriculums option.
• Enter ODU Supervisor Essentials as the Keywords and click the Search button.
• Click the blue information icon to the left of the ODU Supervisor Essentials course. The course's information populates in the right frame of the window. Click on Enroll in Curriculum.
• Click the Enroll link under Your Options of each of the course details. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your enrollment.
For information about the ODU Knowledge Center go to http://www.odu.edu/ao/humanresources/training/kc.shtml.
ODU Employees Eligible for Wireless Discounts
ODU employees are eligible for wireless phone discounts from AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint/Nextel:
• AT&T – 15 percent - code 2018876. If ODU is not listed, select VITA under employee group.
• Verizon – 15 percent - register at ttp://b2b.vzw.com/govt/overview.htm.
• Sprint/Nextel – 15 percent - register for discount at www.sprint.com/virginia or find a local store at www.sprintstorelocator.com. Employees should identify themselves as an employee of the commonwealth of Virginia; be prepared to present proof of employment (pay stub or ODU ID). Virginia ordering codes GASVA_ZZZ or GCOVA_ZZZ.
For additional discounts available to state employees visit: http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeediscounts.html.
Pairings Set for Men's Basketball CAA Tournament; ODU Plays First Game at 6 p.m. Saturday
The pairings are set for the 2011 Virginia 529 College Savings Plan CAA Men's Basketball Championship, which will be held Friday to Monday, March 4-7, at the Richmond Coliseum.
In Friday's first round, eighth-seeded UNC Wilmington (13-17, 7-11 in CAA) faces #9 Georgia State (11-18, 6-12 in CAA) at noon, followed by #5 Drexel (20-9, 11-7 in CAA) against #12 Towson (4-25, 0-18 in CAA) at 2:30 p.m. In the evening session, #7 Delaware (13-16, 8-10 in CAA) takes on #10 Northeastern (11-19, 6-12 in CAA) at 6 p.m. and #6 James Madison (21-10, 10-8 in CAA) meets #11 William & Mary (9-21, 4-14 in CAA) at 8:30 p.m.
In Saturday's quarterfinals, top-seeded George Mason (25-5, 16-2 in CAA) faces the UNCW/GSU winner at noon, followed by #4 VCU (21-10, 12-6) versus the Drexel/Towson victor at 2:30 p.m. In the evening session, #2 Old Dominion (24-6, 14-4 in CAA) meets the Delaware/Northeastern winner at 6 p.m., followed by #3 Hofstra (20-10, 14-4 in CAA) against the JMU/W&M winner at 8:30 p.m.
The semifinals will be played at noon and 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 6, with the CAA championship game set for 7 p.m. on Monday, March 7.
Tickets are available by calling TicketMaster (1-800-745-3000), logging on to TicketMaster.com, visiting the Richmond Coliseum box office or visiting the box office of your favorite CAA team.
Virginia 529 College Savings Plan CAA Men's Basketball Championship
March 4-7 – Richmond Coliseum
Friday, March 4
G1 - #8 UNC Wilmington vs. #9 Georgia State – Noon
G2 - #5 Drexel vs. #12 Towson – 2:30 p.m.
G3 - #7 Delaware vs. #10 Northeastern – 6 p.m.
G4 - #6 James Madison vs. #11 William & Mary – 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 5
G5 - #1 George Mason vs. UNCW/GSU winner – Noon
G6 - #4 VCU vs. Drexel/Towson winner – 2:30 p.m.
G7 - #2 Old Dominion vs. Delaware/Northeastern winner – 6 p.m.
G8 - #3 Hofstra vs. JMU/W&M winner – 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 6
G9 – Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 6 – Noon
G10 – Winner of Game 7 vs. Winner of Game 8 – 2:30 p.m.
Monday, March 7
CAA Championship Game – 7 p.m.