ODU and City of Norfolk Present 2010 ONFilm Festival: Field[s] of Dreams
For the fourth consecutive year, Old Dominion University and the city of Norfolk are coming together to present the ONFilm Festival. This year's event, "Field[s] of Dreams" - an exploration of the magic of the cinematic imagination - will run from March 24-27 on the ODU campus.
Designed to be an educational and cultural collaboration with the city of Norfolk, the ONFilm Festival opens Wednesday, March 24, featuring a community event centered on the theme of baseball. An opening reception and program at 6 p.m. in the University Theatre will be followed by a screening of the movie "Field of Dreams," hosted by Tom Socha, ODU University Professor and associate professor of communication and theatre arts. The program will include as special guests ODU baseball coach Jerry Meyers and Rip Tide from The Norfolk Tides.
Attendees can register to win a four-pack of tickets for an upcoming Norfolk Tides game. The event is free and open to the public.
In a slightly modified format from recent years, the 2010 ONFilm Festival will offer multiple simultaneous screenings of films over the course of the four-day event, in addition to a career fair with the Virginia Production Alliance, a panel discussion with the Hampton Roads Film Office, and a student film competition and awards program.
Each of the 26 movie screenings will be hosted by an ODU faculty member, who will introduce the film and lead an audience discussion or panel discussion. Festival genres include documentaries, popular films and foreign films. For a full schedule of the screenings, visit www.odu.edu/onfilmfest. All movie screenings, except "Rudy," are free and open to the public.
The highlight of the film festival will be "Tailgate and a Movie," a community event on Friday, March 26, at Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium. A tailgate-style reception will begin at 5:30 p.m. on the Field Pass Terrace. The football-themed program, starting at 6:30 p.m., will feature former Notre Dame football player Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, NFL Hall of Famer Bruce Smith, Monarch football coach Bobby Wilder and ODU's mascot, Big Blue. The celebration will conclude with a screening of the movie "Rudy," hosted by Socha and presented on the football stadium's giant digital scoreboard screen. Those attending the tailgate event can register to win ODU Fan Packs.
Tickets for "Tailgate and a Movie" are $10 for the general public and are available through the Arts and Letters box office, located in the University Theatre lobby, or by calling 683-5305. The box office is open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tickets also will be available at the stadium box office one hour before the event. ODU students, faculty and staff can receive a free ticket at the box office with a valid university ID.
In support of the ONFilm Festival, the Ghent Business Association is offering special discounts for patrons. Unless specified, all offers expire March 28. Take the festival program to one of the listed businesses to receive the following specials:
- Mambo Room Latin Dance Studio - $3 Off Group Classes
- Rowena's (758 W. 22nd Street) - Buy any tea and receive a second tea at half price
- The New Leaf - 20% Off All Fresh Cut Flowers Wrapped in Paper
- Russell's Music World (504 Washington Park, adjacent to Cogan's Pizza) - half price strings on guitar, bass, mandolin, violin, etc.
- Garden Gazebo - 20 percent discount on all regularly priced merchandise and an extra 10 percent discount on already marked down sale items.
- Rita's Ice, Custard, and Happiness (21st Street, Norfolk location) - 25 percent discount on a single treat.
- Powercatch Inc. and ABC Consulting Inc. (Monticello Avenue) - 15 percent discount on purchase of a KVAR unit or on engineering consulting services.
- Swirls Frozen Yogurt Bar (Colley Avenue) - 20 percent discount.
- AT&T, The Wireless Experience (1304 Colley Ave., Norfolk location) - $25 off any phone and/or $10 off two accessories (new or upgraded two-year agreement required).
- Hope House Foundation Thrift Store (1800 Monticello Ave., across from Doumar's) - 20 percent discount.
- Local Heroes (1905 Colonial Ave., next to Cogan's Pizza) - 15 percent discount.
- Urban Castaways (1904 Granby St., behind Doumar's) - 10 percent discount.
- Mediation Center of Hampton Roads (424 West 21st St.) - 20 percent discount on separation agreements toward a "successful divorce."
- Decorum (corner of 21st Street and Llewelyn Avenue) - 10 percent discount (Ekornes excluded).
- Ynot Pizza (1517 Colley Ave.) - 10 percent discount off your order (not to be combined with other offers). Expires 5/15/10).
- Garris Travel/American Express (819 West 21st St.) - Be one of the first five to redeem your ONFilm Festival program for a free bottle of wine on your next cruise booked with Garris Travel.
- Enrico's Ristorante (4012 Colley Ave.) - Free drink with the purchase of an entrée.
- Texture (corner Colley and Baldwin avenues in Ghent) - 20 percent discount.
- The Quality Shops (Palace Shops - Ghent or the Hilltop East store) - 20 percent off any one new spring item of menswear (includes sportswear, clothing, denim and accessories). Expires March 31, 2010.
- Join Hampton Roads Business Outreach, a society dedicated to growing your business, by March 31, 2010, and receive the following free gifts: one-half consult from attorney Michael Hamar's office ($1,320 value), three one-hour personal training sessions from Anytime Fitness, a 360 Degree Marketing Audit from Meerbott Marketing ($500 value) and a financial consultation from Jeffrey DePriest, financial services professional ($600 value).
This article was posted on: March 25, 2010
Old Dominion University
Office of University Relations
Room 100 Koch Hall Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0018
Old Dominion University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.