WEATHER ALERT: Evening Classes Cancelled, ODU Closed Friday Sept. 3
Old Dominion University will close at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2, in anticipation of tropical storm-like conditions from Hurricane Earl, and will remain closed Friday, Sept. 3. All classes from 7 p.m. Thursday through Friday are cancelled. This includes the Norfolk campus, higher education centers, and ODU classes at our distance learning sites.
Administrative offices will also be closed. Essential personnel should report to work as instructed. Employees should check with their supervisors to determine their status.
Students who live in the residence halls are advised to remain indoors throughout the duration of the storm. Residence hall directors and advisors will be on hand to assist with any concerns.
Old Dominion University police will be patrolling the campus and securing buildings throughout the evening and tomorrow. Campus emergencies should be reported to police by calling 683-4000.
- The deadline for dropping classes has been extended to Tuesday, Sept. 7.
- All dining services locations will have normal operating hours on Thursday, except Chic-fil-A, the POD, Whitehurst C3 and Gresham C3, which will all close at 10 p.m.
- On Friday, Legends, Café 1201 and Rogers Café will open for brunch from noon to 3 p.m., and then offer a limited menu from 3-4 p.m. Normal dinner hours will resume at 4 p.m. in Café 1201.
- The Food Court, Quiznos, Einsteins and faculty/staff dining will be closed all day Friday.
- All other dining locations will open at noon and close at their normally scheduled times.
PARKING AND SHUTTLE SERVICES
- ODU Shuttles will run normal schedules until 11 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2. There will be no shuttle service from 11 p.m. tonight through 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3. The ODU Shuttles will resume their normal operating schedule at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3.
- All ODU Safe Ride and Escort Service operations will suspend service at 10 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2. The service will resume its normal operations Friday evening.
- Because parking lots on the Constant Center side of Hampton Boulevard tend to flood, and particularly lots 1, 11, 16 and 31, the campus community is urged to move their cars to the upper levels of parking garages C and D, located on 43rd and 45th Streets between Hampton Boulevard and Monarch Way.
- Larchmont, Highland Park and Lambert's Point residents will be permitted to use the upper levels of parking garages C and D at their own risk from 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2, until 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3. Any cars without an ODU decal remaining in the garages after 6 p.m. Friday may be towed.
- The parking lots of the University Village will be open to Old Dominion University students only and ODU police will be checking identification and parking decals.
- The Pep Rally scheduled for Friday evening is cancelled.
- The university will make a decision about Saturday classes and weekend activities and athletic events after assessing the campus Friday afternoon. Announcements will be communicated Friday afternoon and/or evening via campus email and the ODU web site and the ODU Alerts emergency messaging system and local media, if appropriate.
- Webb 24 will be closed tonight.
- The ODU bookstore will open Friday at noon.
- The Student Recreation Center will be closed Friday and will reopen at approximately 10 a.m. Saturday.
- All academic and administrative buildings will be secured this evening and will remain closed Friday until the storm has passed and officials can inspect the campus and buildings. Information about reopening campus buildings will be communicated via campus email and the ODU web site as soon as Facilities approves the reopening.
This article was posted on: September 2, 2010
Old Dominion University
Office of University Relations
Room 100 Koch Hall Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0018
Old Dominion University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.