DESSERT CHALLENGE WINNERS APPLAUDED
With five dessert tables filled with an array of tasty items, the first Great American Old Dominion Dessert Contest was an overwhelming success with faculty, staff and a few students who asked to participate, according to organizers from the Office of the President.
"Wow, it was a wonderful community gathering," said President Roseann Runte. "I want to thank everyone for attending and for participating in this first Old Dominion University Dessert challenge."
Award winners are as follows:
- People's Choice Award for the most popular dessert: Christina Upton of the Student Health Center for her carrot cake;
- Best Chocolate Dessert category: Suzanne Parker of the nursing department for her better than sex chocolate cake;
- Best Fruit Dessert: Mary Hayward of the biology department for her apricot lemon cake;
- Best Presentation: students from Ed Neukgrug's class for their flower pot cake; and
- Best of the South: Lee Avery of the registrar's office for her sweet potato pie.
The awards were selected by a panel of judges including William Whitehurst, Carolyn McCollum, James Long and Julie Dodd.
This article was posted on: July 10, 2002
Old Dominion University
Office of University Relations
Room 100 Koch Hall Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0018
Old Dominion University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.