[ skip to content ]


A big change is coming to university ID numbers the weekend of May 8-9.

The university will discontinue use of the Social Security Number as the primary identification number for faculty, staff and students. Instead, an eight-digit University Identification Number (UIN) will be issued to all faculty, staff and students. This change is to protect and to eliminate use of the SSN as an identifier within our community and to meet up-coming statutory requirements in the Commonwealth.

In order to complete the conversion process, LEO Online and Banner will not be available from midnight Friday, May 7, until 11 a.m. Saturday, May 8. Part of the planned down time is the regularly scheduled maintenance window. We apologize for any inconvenience the system down time may cause users.

- How will I know what my new ID number is?

You will be able to log into LEO Online with your SSN and PIN as you currently do. Then click on "Personal Information," then click on "View University Identification Number." You will also be able to continue to use your SSN as your login ID, but we recommend that you begin to use your UIN immediately. Your UIN will also display on your paystub and your new University ID card.

- What is the format of the UIN?

It is an eight-digit number so that it will not be confused with the SSN. Those who already have a system-generated ID number will be given the same number except that the symbol "@" will be removed. All ID numbers are generated from the University's administrative system, Banner.

- Will I need a new ID card?

Yes. The University ID office has posted information on its web site about the schedule for issuing new cards to the University community: http://www.odu.edu/af/cardcenter/. There is no charge for the new card when the old ID card is returned.

- Will I still be able to use my old ID card?

Yes. Your old card will still work for purchases, access, etc. You should plan on replacing it, however, no later than Nov. 1, 2005.

- Can people still ask me for my SSN after the conversion?

In a very few cases, the answer is "yes," but only for official, approved reasons (primarily for federal reporting). In nearly all instances you should be asked for and give only the UIN. As this is a transition process, some forms may ask that you write out your SSN. You may insert, instead, your UIN except for specific reasons that should be mentioned on the form itself.

Over time, as supplies are depleted, but no later than July 1, 2006, forms must be updated to include language about collection of the SSN or will simply require the UIN.

- What do you need to get an ID Card?

1. A printout of your registration (from LEO Online at (www.leoonline.odu.edu)
2. A valid photo ID (ie. Driver's license, Military ID, etc.)

- ID Card Schedule

Below is a schedule of when you will be able to receive your ID card. Please find the category that applies to you and make note of the date.

New Incoming Students

Term Dates You Can Get Your ID card

Summer Sessions 1, 2 and 3 -- through May 7
Summer Sessions 4, 5, 6 and 7 -- Beginning May 17
Fall '04 -- Beginning Aug. 4

Current Students with ID Cards
November 1-Nov. 1, 2005
Your current ID card will work until Nov. 1, 2005. However, you do need to come in before this date to receive a new ID card with the UIN. For current students, your new ID cards will be free when you turn in your current ID card!

For more information, visit the Web site at http://www.odu.edu/cardcenter.

A schedule will be provided soon. We plan to begin re-carding this summer.

For questions about the University ID card, please contact the University ID office at cardcenter@odu.edu. For questions about the SSN to UIN conversion process, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at register@odu.edu.

This article was posted on: April 22, 2004

Old Dominion University
Office of University Relations

Room 100 Koch Hall Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0018
Telephone: 757-683-3114

Old Dominion University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.