Customer Service Standards
Old Dominion University adopted new customer service standards in 2012. We took the opportunity to make them specific to the work we do. The bulleted statements reflect the service you can expect from Student Transition and Family Programs. You can tell us how we're doing on this survey.
We demonstrate professionalism when we exhibit a high level of competency and respect when interacting with our students, colleagues, and community members. We are friendly, focused, and recognize that we are accountable for consistently meeting the needs of those we serve.
* We give customers our undivided attention
* We are professional in our communication, behavior, and appearance
* We seek opportunities to improve ourselves
We adhere to the university's code of ethics and demonstrate the spirit of the code when we treat others impartially. We demonstrate integrity to our students, colleagues, and the community by adhering to university policies, procedures, and standards of service and apply them in an equitable and just manner.
* We are open and honest
* We protect the privacy of information
We recognize that everyone has the right to be treated with kindness, dignity, and consideration. We strive to demonstrate patience, compassion and concern towards all with whom we come in contact.
* We value the unique needs of each customer
* We are accountable for our work
* We follow through on concerns
We are responsible for ensuring that we possess the expertise necessary to provide complete and accurate information to those requiring assistance. We will actively collaborate with those that have the knowledge and/or information needed to facilitate resolution.
* We stay abreast of new policies and procedures
* We simplify processes
* We help customers effectively communicate with other offices
* We find answers even when the issue doesn't directly relate to our office
* We refer customers appropriately
We are committed to providing accurate, timely and solution-oriented services. We look for ways to improve efficiency and foster an environment of open communication so that we may ultimately provide the highest standard of service.
* We understand customers want to talk to a person, not a machine
* We return phone messages within a business day
* We respond to emails within a business day
* We provide thorough, accurate information
* We help customers find resolutions
Geographic and institutional boundaries do not define the ODU community. We recognize that our customers are any internal or external parties that we may encounter whether we represent the university in an official or unofficial capacity. We foster a sense of community, inclusion and collaboration when we avoid silos and partner with various members of the ODU community to promote teamwork while proving a high standard of service.
* We deliver services in person and online
* We mail forms when our customers can't access them electronically
* We engage our campus partners in our programs
* We invite customers to evaluate our programs and services
* We value customer feedback