Before you apply for graduation, consult with the Graduate Program Director for your academic program to ensure that all program/degree requirements have been met.
Before you apply for graduation, review your degree evaluation in LEO Online and then make sure you have completed the following:
- Check General Education requirements: Check the University Catalog to be aware of the General Education requirements and any additional requirements that may apply to your major (some majors may differ or have specific General Education course requirements).
- Check Foreign Language requirements: Refer to the University Catalog to be sure you have met the foreign language requirement for the University and for your major/college.
- Evaluation of all transfer work: All transfer work must be evaluated by Admissions and posted to the academic record.
- Departmental advising: Be sure you have been advised by your major (and minor) chief departmental advisor or Site Director.
- Senior Assessment: All graduating seniors must complete the required senior assessment survey during their final semester before graduation. A separate assessment is provided for distance learning students.
- Writing Proficiency: All undergraduate students, including those students who are seeking a second baccalaureate degree, must satisfy the University's Writing Proficiency requirement prior to the date of graduation. For information on meeting this requirement, please see the University Requirements section of this website.
- If you received a letter or e-mail from the Registrar's Office with instructions about applying for graduation, please respond accordingly.
About Registering for Commencement
Applying for graduation with the Office of the Registrar does not automatically register you for the commencement ceremony. Registering to participate in commencement is a separate registration process.
You must submit the Commencement Participation Registration form in order to participate in the commencement ceremony (see step 5 at www.odu.edu/commencement). All questions related to commencement should be directed to the Office of University Events at email@example.com.