FACULTY AND ADVISORS
For instructions to run a degree evaluation or what-if analysis for your student/advisee, please see below. Please note, the DegreeWorks system does not replace the University Catalog, and evaluation reports are NOT official. The DegreeWorks system is constantly being updated to correct any omissions or errors in the rules. Questions should be addressed to DegreeWorks@odu.edu or call 757-683-6241.
Accessing DegreeWorks || What-If Analysis || Reviewing a DegreeWorks Worksheet
Creating a Plan || Creating Multiple Plans|| Questions
Click the ACADEMIC link (located near the top, left of the page)
Click DegreeWorks (this will open a new window; if you use a pop-up blocker you should add *.odu.edu to the Pop-up Blocker exceptions list in your pop-up blocker settings menu
DegreeWorks will open in a new window.
Click Faculty & Advisors
- Click Degree Works for Advisors
(Note: If you use a pop-up blocker, you may need to add *.odu.edu to the Pop-up Blocker exceptions list in your Pop-up Blocker settings menu.)
Select the current term, or the most future term for which the student has pre-registered, then click Submit
Enter the student's University ID number (UIN) and click Submit
Verify the selection of the correct student, and click Submit
DegreeWorks will open in a new window, pre-populated with the information for the student you selected.
This feature allows advisors to compare their current academic history to the requirements of different programs. This can be useful to students who are considering switching majors or who are "major shopping."
To run a What-If Analysis:
- Access DegreeWorks using the instructions above.
- Click What If (located under the Worksheets tab on the left side of the page)
- Select the appropriate level of the what-if program
- Select the appropriate degree
- Select a catalog year (catalog year cannot be earlier than student's admit date to the University)
- Select a major
- If applicable, select a minor and/or concentration
Note: If you add a major, minor, or concentration to the "Chosen Areas of study" list, you can select the item and click remove to remove it from the list.
- When you have finished selecting your What If curriculum, click the Process What-If button located near the top of the page.
- This will create a What If Audit for you to review. This audit is not saved but you can print the What If Audit using the Print button at the top of the page.
Reviewing a DegreeWorks Worksheet
The first section of the degree evaluation report summarizes the student's curriculum information and provides a list of items such as Overall GPA, Overall Hours, Academic Standing, Catalog Year, and provides links to information about Registration Holds and Test Scores.
The next section of the report is divided into program Blocks. These blocks may be displayed as Degree Requirements, Departmental Requirements, College Requirements, Lower Division General Education Requirements, Major Requirements, Concentration Requirements, Upper Division General Education Requirements, General Electives, "Withdrawn, Failed, and Grade Forgiveness Courses," In-progress and Current Registrations, Not Counted courses, and various Other blocks for program-specific requirements.
- Degree Requirements include overall requirements for the specific degree the student is pursuing; these include minimum number of overall credit hours, minimum overall GPA, test scores, and assessments.
- Departmental Requirements are specific to each program and typically included courses that can also be used as part of other areas.
- Lower Division General Education Requirements are the University requirements that all undergraduate students must complete.
- Major Requirements include all courses necessary to complete the major. The major area will include all major courses taken and enforces the major GPA requirement for the program.
- Concentration Requirements include all courses necessary to complete a specific concentration associated with a major.
- Upper Division General Education Requirements include the requirements for clusters and minors.
- General Electives include all other courses taken or attempted that do not apply toward any other requirements.
Creating a Plan
The Student Planner allows the student to build and save a term-by-term list of courses he or she plans to take. Students may have multiple plans, but only one active plan. The advisor may require the student to develop a plan and after meeting with him or her, the plan may be "locked" signifying that the advisor reviewed and approved the plan. If a plan is locked, the student will not be able to make any additional changes to that plan without first contacting the advisor. To build a plan follow these steps:
- Access DegreeWorks following the instructions provided above.
- Click on the Planner tab
- The screen will display with 2 panes. The left is the Planner Worksheet and the right-side is the Student Educational Planner. At the top of the Student Educational Planner enter a Description (e.g. BIOLOGY MAJOR W/ CHEMISTRY MINOR).
- Scroll down the Student Educational Planner window pane until you see the first term section. The drop-down should show "Select Term." Select the first term you wish to build (note: it cannot be the current term).
- In the rows under the term, you can either type in the course subject/number or find the course in the Planner Worksheet on the left and drag-and-drop them on the rows in the planner. If you type in the courses they must appear exactly as they do in the University catalog along with the number of credits for each course. The first box is for the course subject number (e.g. MATH 102M). The next field is for the number of credits. Once you have the plan for that term completed, move to the next term block.
- When you have finished building your plan, click Save Plan. You will get a pop-up window stating whether the plan saved or identifying errors. If an error displays, red arrows will appear next to each course in the planner that has a problem. Usually these issues are related to invalid course numbers. Double-check the course number and try again.
Creating Multiple Plans
Students have the option of creating multiple plans. After creating the first plan, it will be saved in the drop-down menu directly under the planner tab. If you want to create a new plan, click on the drop-down list and select "----- Add new plan -----" and then just to the right of the drop-down menu click the "LOAD" button. Then follow the instruction provided above to create a plan. Note: The name of the new plan cannot be the same as the other plan.
Questions should be addressed to DegreeWorks@odu.edu. Please include your name, UIN, and a detailed description of the issue(s).