Academic requirements for each program/degree can be found in the University Catalog. Curriculum sheets for each undergraduate program are also available at the University's web site.
In addition to the academic requirements of the student's degree program, the following non-academic requirements must be met before any student will be certified as a graduate of Old Dominion University.
All graduate students must complete an assessment during the semester in which they complete their master's, education specialist (Ed.S.), or doctoral degrees. The Graduate Student Satisfaction Survey was designed to assess students' satisfaction with their graduate program and the University. The diploma will not be issued until a graduate student has completed her/his assessment. After applying for graduation, graduate students will be invited to complete their assessment by e-mail to their ODU e-mail address. The e-mail will contain a link to the assessment, enabling them to take it online via the web.
See the Assessment web site for complete details and instructions on how to complete the assessment.
The following non-academic requirements must be completed before you can be certified as a graduate of Old Dominion University:
- Senior Assessment: All graduating seniors must complete the required Senior Assessment, consisting of either the Senior Student Satisfaction Survey (campus seniors) OR the Distance Learning Program Student Satisfaction Survey (distance learning seniors), during the semester in which they plan to graduate. The diploma will not be issued until a student has completed his/her assessment. After applying for graduation, seniors will be invited to complete their senior assessment by e-mail to their ODU student e-mail address. The e-mail will contain a link to the assessment, enabling them to take it online via the web. For complete information on the Senior Assessment, see the Assessment web site.
Students with questions about senior/graduate student assessment may consult the Frequently Asked Questions section of the Assessment web site, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Assessment Office at (757) 683-3322. Distance learning students may contact their site director or the Office of Distance Learning.
- Writing Proficiency (this policy has changed):
Students in catalogs prior to 2012-2013 may either take the Exit Exam of Writing Proficiency, or satisfy the Writing Requirement with:
- a C or better (or transfer credit) in ENGL 110C or 126C and
- a C or better (or transfer credit) in ENGL 111C or 131C or 211C or 221C or 231C and
- a C or better in the "W" course in the major, which must be taken at ODU.
Students admitted prior to 2012-2013 who do not meet the writing requirement with the ENGL and W courses must take and pass the Exit Exam of Writing Proficiency OR repeat the ENGL or W course(s) that do not satisfy the requirement.
Students admitted to the University beginning Fall 2012 do not have the option of taking the Exit Exam and must meet the Writing Requirement with a C or better in the ENGL "C" courses listed above, and a C or better in the "W" course in the major.
To determine whether you meet the Writing Requirement, check your degree evaluation in DegreeWorks. Questions about the Writing Requirement should be directed to email@example.com.
Assessment results are used to improve student learning and the educational experience at Old Dominion University, and do not become part of students' records.