From original idea to actual submission, creating and writing a project proposal involves an intricate process requiring perseverance, organizational and time management skills; interpersonal negotiation and communication skills; the ability to accept feedback, often in the form of criticism; and the ability to handle rejection, make corrections and adjustments, and submit again.
The Grant Writers in the Office of Research are available to provide feedback and editorial assistance on the non-technical aspects of your proposal by ensuring that you have adequately responded to all of the requirements of the Request for Proposals (RFP); by making sure that you have identified the University and its various colleges, departments and other features appropriately; and by providing feedback regarding the readability, logic and flow of the narrative. Please contact the Office of Research for assistance.
The links below will help you through the process by providing resources to produce a grammatically correct document that is free of spelling errors, tips and pointers for writing proposals whether they are to agencies or to foundations, and ending with information on how to design and implement an evaluation component for your project.
If you are interested in viewing a funded proposal, contact your College's Grant Writer.
Resources for Academic Writing
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Strunk's Elements of Style - Online edition
- MedlinePlus Medical Dictionary
Resources for Proposal Development
- Creating a Data Management Plan (A DMP is required for all NSF grants and for many other federal grants)
- Catalogue of Federal Domestic Assistance Developing and Writing Grant Proposals
- National Science Foundation's Grant Proposal Guide (GPG) for proposals due on or after January 18, 2011
- NSF GPG Proposal Preparation Instructions
- NSF GPG Proposal Preparation Checklist (Exhibit II-1)
- National Science Foundation's A Guide for Proposal Writing
- National Institutes of Health Grant Writing Tips Sheets
- Jacob Kraicer's The Art of Grantsmanship
- Social Science Research Council's The Art of Writing Proposals
- Society of Research Administrators International Listing of Grant Writing Publications
- Don Thackrey's Proposal Writer's Guide from the University of Michigan
- Non-profit Guides' Grant Writing Tools for Non-profit Organizations
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting's Basic Elements of Grant Writing
- The Foundation Center's Sources on Proposal Writing
Resources for Project and Outcomes Evaluation
- National Science Foundation's 2002 User friendly Handbook for Project Evaluation
- W. K. Kellogg Foundation's Logic Model Development Guide
- W. K. Kellogg Foundation's Evaluation Handbook