Dr. Han P. Bao
Professor Han P. Bao, PH.D., P.E.,
Mitsubishi Kasei Professor of
Director of Ship Maintenance,
Repair and Operations Institute
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Old Dominion University
238E Kaufman Hall,
Norfolk, Virginia 23529-0248
(757)683-4922 (office), (757)683-5344 (fax)
Click here to go to Dr.Bao's Department Webpage
Grants and Contracts
- Project 785891, "Emission Inventory Study Of Ocean Cruising Vessels", Maersk Line Ltd, Pi- H.P. Bao, 05/15/08-05/30/09, $41000.
- Project 0538581, "Scholarships for Future Marine Engineering Workforce Professionals, Scientists and Industry Leaders", NSF, PI:Baysal, Co-PI: H.P. Bao & A. Dean, G.Hou, B. Newman, 08/16/08-08/16/2012, $599,000.
- Project 391471,"Collaborative Research- Marine Career Tech Stem Careers in Shipbuilding and Marine Industry", NSF, PI: A.Verma, Co-PI: H.P.Bao, 10/01/2009-09/30/2012.
- STEM Education, Sub-Area 12-DK-102, "Inter-Disciplinary Training in Undergraduate Bio-Medical Engineering", NIH, Date of Submittal: April 2009, Co-PI: H. Bao.
- Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) Program of NSF, :Acquisition of a 3D Metal Object Printer for Innovative Manufacturing, Biomedical and Implant Applications:,Date of Submittal: Aug 10, 2009, $1,384,467.
- Virginia Transportation Board, "Highway Traffic Congestion & Integration of Short Sea Shipping into the Intermodal Supply Chain in the Mid Atlantic Region of the US East Coast", VMASC and SMRO Institute, December 2009, $350,000.
- �An integrated and Extensible Cost Evaluation and Simulation System�, Han P. Bao (PI), September 2006 to September 2008, $ 70,000 funded by Intelligent Automation Inc.
- Wheelchair accessible medical examination table, Han P. Bao (Principal Investigator), June 28, 2005 to September 15, 2005, $12,969 funded by Amadas Industries through VATPDC.
- Cost Estimation Techniques for Multi-Disciplinary Optimization, Han P. Bao (Principal Investigator), May 14, 2002 to May 13, 2005, $125,000 funded by NASA Langley research Center.
Refereed Journals Articles:
- Re-Sequencing of Design Processes with Activity Stochastic Time and Cost: An Optimization-Simulation Approach", H. Abdelsalam and H. Bao, Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME, Vol. 129, February 2007, pp. 150-157.
- "A Strategy for Product Reuse in Support of Life Cycle Engineering�, H.P. Bao, S. Uppuluri, M. Arityasari and S. Manmek, International Journal of Agile Manufacturing, Vol. 9, Issue 2, 2006.
- A Simulation-based Optimization Framework for Product Development Cycle Time Reduction�, H. Abdelsalam and H.P. Bao, IEEE Transaction on Engineering Management, Vol. 53, No. 1, February 2006.
- �Close loop cost equation for objects manufactured by milling�, U.Kulkarni and H.P. Bao, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.125, No. 3, August 2003, pp.436- 448.
Refereed National/International Conference Proceedings:
- "Development of Metrics to Determine Optimal Manning of Naval Vessels for Fleet Readiness from a Maintenance Perspective", A. Dean, J. Brooks, J. Reina, and H. Bao, 8th Fleet Maintenance Symposium 2007, Virginia Beach, Virginia.
- "Reuse in action: a study of �trade-in� practices of electrical appliances in Indonesia�, M. Anityasari, H. Kaebernick, and H. Bao, Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management, December 2005, Bali, Indonesia.
- �Life Cycle Engineering: Dealing with Risks and Uncertainties�, Keynote paper, International Manufacturing Leadership Forum 2005, Adelaide, South Australia.