Department of Information Technology and Decision Sciences
Old Dominion University
Click here to download a copy of my vita.
- Activity awareness, social presence, and motivation in distributed virtual teams. Russell Haines. 2021. Information & Management. 58(2).
- Cultural drivers of nascent smartphone use: peeling the layers of the socio-economic onion. David M. Simmonds and Russell P. Haines. 2020. International Journal of Social and Humanistic Computing. 3(3-4), 317-338.
- Experimental investigation on the effects of website aesthetics on user performance in different virtual tasks. Meinald Thielsch, Russell Haines, and Leonie Flacke. 2019. PeerJ. 7(e6516).
- The Impact of Technology Availability and Structural Guidance on Group Development in Workgroups Using Computer-Mediated Communication. Russell Haines, Richard Scamell, and Jaymeen Shah. 2018. Information Systems Management. 35(4), 348-368.
- A metacognitive perspective on decision making in supply chains: Revisiting the behavioral causes of the bullwhip effect. Russell Haines, Jill Hough, and Douglas Haines. 2017. International Journal of Production Economics. 184, 7-20.
- Group development in virtual teams: An experimental reexamination. Russell Haines. 2014. Computers in Human Behavior. 39, 213-222.
- Anonymity in Computer-Mediated Communication: More Contrarian Ideas with Less Influence. Russell Haines, Jill Hough, Lan Cao, and Douglas Haines. 2014. Group Decision and Negotiation. 23(4), 765-786.
- A New Perspective on De-Individuation via Computer-Mediated Communication. Russell Haines and Joan Ellen Cheney Mann. 2011. European Journal of Information Systems. 20(2), 156-167.
- Individual and Environmental Impacts on Supply Chain Inventory Management: An Experimental Investigation of Information Availability and Procedural Rationality. Russell Haines, Jill R. Hough and Douglas Haines. 2010. Journal of Business Logistics. 31(2), 111-128.
- The Influence of Workspace Awareness on Group Intellective Decision Effectiveness. Randy Cooper and Russell Haines. 2008. European Journal of Information Systems. 17(6), 631-648.
- The Influence of Perceived Importance of an Ethical Issue on Moral Judgment, Moral Obligation, and Moral Intent. Russell Haines, Marc D. Street, and Douglas Haines. 2008. Journal of Business Ethics 81(2), 387-399.
- Contextual factors affecting the integration of enterprise systems in post-merger oil and gas companies. Jill Hough, Russell Haines, Shannon Giacomo. 2007. Enterprise Information Systems 1(4), 421-441.
- Situational Influences on Ethical Decision-Making in an IT Context. Russell Haines and Lori Leonard. 2007. Information and Management 44(3), 313-320.
- Computer-Mediated Group Influence on Ethical Behavior. Lori Leonard and Russell Haines. 2007. Computers in Human Behavior 23(5), 2302-2320.
- Individual Characteristics and Ethical Decision-Making in an IT Context. Russell Haines and Lori Leonard. 2007. Industrial Management & Data Systems 107(1), 5-20. Featured as one of ten noteworthy journal articles for January 2007 by Emerald Publishing.
Current Research Projects:
I design large session group laboratory experiments (40-50 or more simultaneous participants).
These are run during normal class periods and/or as part of normal class curriculum.
The experiments include:
ODU has graciously provided me with an old workstation to use as a server to host the experiments here.
I hope it doesn't crash, but so far so good.
- A version of the beer game (a.k.a. beer distribution game), which we use to examine cognitive and collaborative influences on supply chain decision making.
- A group development exercise, which we use to examine the impact of collaborative elements on decision making processes in task-oriented groups.
- An ethical decision-making exercise, which we use to examine individuals' ethical decision making process and the influence of group interaction on ethical decision making.
- An on-line auction simulation.
Stop Fake News (Facebook page)
Girls Geek Out (Facebook page)
Baby Bash, a computer game for babies (6 - 24 months).
Tape Calculator (listed here and here), a calculator program for PCs that operates like a desktop adding machine.
Code dump of a set of SQL queries that compute the Gini Coefficient for participation in groups
I am webmaster for the Taylor Elementary School PTA (see also Taylor Elementary School).
Russell Haines on Google Scholar
Russell Haines on ResearchGate
Also Russell Haines on Research Gate
Russell Haines SelectedWorks
Russell Haines LinkedIn
My research was featured in a Wall Street Journal article about virtual teams and teamwork.
I was cited (on page 9) of a congressional report about online radicalization.
I received my Ph.D. from the University of Houston. Richard Scamell was my dissertation chair. Wynne Chin, Peter Todd, and Joe Kotarba were on my dissertation committee. Randy Cooper was the Ph.D. advisor.
I received my high school diploma from Timpview High School, class of 1986.
My nephew is in a band called Metzener, and they don't stink!
A good site for steam heating and boiler information.
Russell Haines personal web site.
Employee Scheduling web site.
Troop 1 web site.