Lectures, Essays, and PowerPoint Presentations
Hoodia sp. Species of this genus are used by the local San people to curb appetite and thirst on journeys through the desert. Spitzkuppe, Namibia. 23 February 2004.
Listed here are miscellaneous lectures and essays. One through three were presented at the American Cultural Center in Damascus, Syria. A biblical view of creation was delivered at the Jordan Evangelical Theological Seminary and also published in Al Reem, the magazine of the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature in Jordan. The series on the flora of Jordan, numbers five through seven as well as eleven, were published in University News, a monthly English news magazine of the University of Jordan. Number 8 appeared in Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith. Number 10 is an audio of a lecture I gave in Beirut, Lebanon in June 2002 while a visiting professor at the American University of Beirut. Also included here is the entire PowerPoint presentation on George Edward Post--a large file! At the launch of the book, JORDAN IN BLOOM, for Queen Rania Al-Abdullah, I gave an address for Earth Day. Thirteen through fifteen, and sixteen through eighteen are PowerPoint presentations, these are large files.
For a comprehensive list of all my publications, see list of all publications
Lytton John Musselman
17 October 2005
1. Research and Undergraduate Teaching--Is there a relationship?
2. Modern Medicines from Plants of the Bible and the Qu'ran
3. Plants of the Qu'ran and the Bible
3a. Plants of the Qu'ran and Bible (in Arabic)
4. A Biblical View of Creation
5. Hashemite Pteridophytes
6. Black Irises and Black Plastic
7. Thistles! Got the point?
8. Al eterno enthusiasmo
9. Winter reflections on longleaf pine
10. This is a lecture delivered at the American University of Beirut in June 2002. It deals with a pioneer botanist of the Middle East, George Edward Post (1838-1909). I include the entire PowerPoint Presentation here. This is a very large file!
11. Aquatic Plants in Arid Places
12. Earth Day Speech for Queen Rania, Amman, Jordan 22 April 2001
13. Lecture on Bible plants given at the Virginia Garden Show 19 January 2003, Virginia Beach. This is a large PowerPoint file!!
14. Symbolism and Spiritual Meanings of Plants in the Bible. This is the Summitt Christian History Lecture presented at the Hennage Auditorium at the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum in Williamsburg, Virginia 23 April 2003 as part of Religion Month, sponsored by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. This is a large PowerPoint file.
15. Beirut, Botany, and Bible Scholarship.The contributions of George Edward Post (1838-1909) to Bible dictionaries and his interaction with Harvard botanists. A PowerPoint Lecture delivered at the American University of Beirut on 26 May 2003. This is a large file.
16. Plants of the Koran and the Bible appeared in Unasylva 213(54): 47-52 (2003) an international journal of forestry and forest industries published by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
18. On April 18 2005, I was invited to present a keynote address at the International Conference on Promoting Community-driven Conservation and Sustainable Use of Dryland Agrobiodiversity at the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas, in Aleppo, Syria. I am attaching it both as a PowerPoint fileAgrobiodiversity Conference, ICARDA, Aleppo, Syria May 2005 Keynote Address and a PowerPoint converted to a pdf Aleppo May 2005 Keynote Address Agrobiodiversity Conference.